In recent years coconut water has gained immense popularity in people who care about their health or love staying fit. Reasons backed by scientists are minerals and essential ingredients present in coconut water.
1 cup of coconut water contains the following minerals and essentials –
- Vitamin C
In this article, you will know more about the health benefits of coconut water –
What is the benefits of drinking coconut water?
- Antioxidant properties
- Lowers blood pressure
- Having many nutritious properties
- Good for diabetes
- Considered as a good source to keep you hydrated
- Prevents kidney stone formation
- Safe for heart
- Gives energy boost after exercise
- Due to injury or any other stress, the metabolic process of the human body produces many types of free radical molecules.
- Having these free radical molecules in excessive amounts causes oxidative stress, which may lead to damage to the cells.
- Oxidative stress can also increase the risk of diseases.
- As observed in animal studies, coconut water benefits by reducing oxidative stress.
- The studies have also seen that such coconut water benefits in high triglycerides, blood pressure, and improves insulin sensitivity in the body.
Lowers blood pressure
- Coconut water contains a good amount of potassium which is effective for people with high blood pressure.
- It is also known to prevent blood clot formation.
Having many nutritious properties
- Green coconuts are grown on big palm trees.
- They are considered nutritious, apart from their water the rest white portion is also safe to eat.
- Coconuts are primarily made of water and little fat made up naturally.
- Make sure not to confuse water and coconut milk.
- Usually, a coconut requires 10 to 12 months time to grow.
- While water comes in the span of 6 to 7 months.
- A medium size coconut contains ½ to 1 cup water.
- According to many studies conducted on animals, coconut water has shown tremendous results by improving blood sugar levels.
- It is also considered safe for diabetic people.
- Coconut contains 3 grams of fiber and 6 gram carbs which can be easily added to the diet of diabetic patients.
- While coconuts are also a rich source of magnesium, they help in improving insulin sensitivity, controlling blood sugar levels, etc.
- It is considered excellent for prediabetic people.
Considered as a good source to keep you hydrated
- Coconuts are low in calories and carbs with little sweet and nut flavored in taste.
- As it came from a natural source, it remains fresh.
- You can have it through many ways using a straw or can have it in the refrigerator for two to three weeks.
- Coconut water is also available in the market with different brand names.
- Make sure to read the ingredients before buying or drinking such water.
Prevents kidney stone formation
- Make sure to have essential fluids in required quantities, as it may aid in the prevention of kidney stones formation.
- You can have normal water but one study suggests that coconut water has way more potential than it is considered.
- Kidney stones are formed when calcium, oxalate, and other compounds present in urine form crystals.
- Drinking coconut water reduces the risk of crystal formation.
- Resulting in less formation of stones in the urine.
- Research also suggests that with the help of coconut water oxidative stress caused by free radicals is also reduced.
- It is effective for people who are prone to have heart disease.
- As shown in animal studies, consuming coconut water on a regular basis can reduce the levels of cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Coconut water benefits people having fatty liver conditions.
- These benefits are seen when coconut water was taken in high quantities during studies.
Energy booster after exercise
- It can be helpful for people who do exercise as it keeps them hydrated.
- Coconut water has electrolytes present which keeps body fluids balanced.
- Some studies suggest coconut water has the potential to hydrate equivalent to other energy drinks.
- Conditions like nausea and abdominal issues are less seen with coconut water consumption.
Coconut water is tasty, nutritious, and a natural drink good for health. It benefits people with heart, blood sugar, kidney related issues. You can use it in your daily life.
FAQs – Coconut water benefits?
When is the best time to drink coconut water?
- You can have it whenever you want.
- But according to many experts, it should be taken early in the morning.
- As having it in the morning helps in boosting immunity.
- Also aids in losing weight and increasing metabolism.
What happens when you drink coconut water on empty stomach?
- Boost immunity
- Reduces LDL “bad” cholesterol levels
- Stimulates metabolism
What are the disadvantages of coconut water?
Having too much amount may cause –
- Lowers blood pressure
- Unsafe for people with any kind of allergies
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Diuretic properties
How much coconut water should you drink a day?
- As recommended by many experts – 1 coconut per day is considered safe and good.
What happens if I drink coconut water every day?
When consumed in larger amounts it may cause –
- Stomach upset
- In some cases, it may raise potassium levels in the blood.