In this article, you will know to get info about what is swine flu, its causes, risk factors, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, home remedies, and prevention –
What is swine flu?
- Swine flu is also known as the H1N1 virus.
- It is a new form of influenza virus that comes with common flu-like symptoms.
- It started with pigs and later it spread from one human to another.
- It was first seen in the year 2009 where it was declared an epidemic.
- Epidemics are considered to be those diseases that are affecting people all over the world at the same time.
- Whereas in the year 2010, the World Health Organization announced the end of this epidemic.
- Since then the H1N1 virus has become a regular flu virus in humans. (Learn about – corana virus)
- Like other flu, it spreads seasonally.
- According to the type of other flu, this flu is also fatal which spreads rapidly from one person to another.
- It can be spread by mere sneezing in public places.
- The best way to prevent it is to avoid it.
- In which keep washing hands at regular intervals.
- Also, keep a distance from the infected person.
What are the causes of swine flu?
- Swine flu is caused by a strain of influenza virus that usually only infects pigs.
- Its infection spreads from one person to another and not from animals to humans.
- You can get swine flu from eating improperly cooked pork products.
- It can be spread through saliva and mucus particles.
- Such as touching the eyes or nose after sneezing, coughing, touching an infected object. etc.
What are the risk factors of swine flu?
- When it started, it was common among young people who were 5 years of age or older.
- But in today’s time, its complications are similar to other flu.
- Spending more time among more infected people puts you at risk of getting affected.
- Swine flu can be fatal to some people in the following conditions.
- Such as children below 5 years of age, people above 65 years of age, people with weakened immune systems, pregnant women, patients with chronic diseases like asthma, heart disease, diabetes mellitus, etc.
What are the symptoms of Swine flu?
How to diagnose swine flu?
- Your doctor can diagnose by taking a sample of fluid from your body.
- To collect a sample, your doctor or nurse may swab your nose or throat.
- Many methods and genetics are used to identify the virus.
What is the treatment of Swine flu?
- Most cases of swine flu do not require medication for treatment.
- You do not need to see a doctor unless you are at risk of developing medical complications from the flu.
- You should focus on relieving your symptoms and preventing the spread of H1N1 to other people.
- The medicine should be taken as per the advice of the doctor.
- People who are generally healthy and have swine flu will be able to fight off the infection on their own.
Home remedies to get relief from swine flu symptoms
- Take proper rest, this will help the immune system to fight the infection.
- To avoid dehydration, drink plenty of water.
- The body can regain the lost nutrition by drinking soups and juices etc.
- OTC pain relievers should be taken for headaches or sore throat.
Swine flu prevention
- Wash your hands regularly with sanitizer.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose, mouth after touching the object in any public place.
- Stay home when sick.
- Avoid going to crowded places during flu season.
Many cases of swine flu can be fatal. There is a risk of loss of life due to any other disease such as HIV or AIDS. Most of the people suffering from this can lead a normal life after recovering.