In this article, you will know what is type 3 diabetes, its symptoms, causes, risk factors, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention –
What is type 3 diabetes?
Diabetes mellitus is a condition in which our body is unable to convert sugar into energy. Generally, we think of 3 types of diabetes in which –
- Type 1 Diabetes – This is a chronic health condition in which the endocrine part of the pancreas is unable to develop the hormone insulin, leading to high blood glucose levels in the body.
- Type 2 Diabetes – During this condition, the body is not sensitive to insulin and blood glucose levels become high.
- Gestational diabetes – This occurs during pregnancy and in this the blood sugar level remains very high.
According to some research studies, Alzheimer’s disease should be known as type 3 diabetes.
Alzheimer’s disease is known to be the main cause of dementia which is triggered by a type of insulin insensitivity that leads to brain dysfunction.
This condition is also seen in some patients with type 2 diabetes. Discussions are still going on about type 3 diabetes and discussions are going on by medical experts.
Type 3 diabetes should not be confused with type 3c diabetes mellitus.
There are two endocrine and exocrine glands in our pancreas which have their own functions. Whereas insulin is a hormone that is made in the pancreas and goes to other parts of the body.
What is the link between diabetes and Alzheimer’s disease?
- There is a link between Alzheimer’s disease and type 2 diabetes. It is said that insulin insensitivity triggers the brain of Alzheimer’s sufferers.
- According to some people, Alzheimer’s is also called diabetes of the brain.
- If diabetes is not treated for a long time, there is damage to the blood vessels of the whole body including the brain.
- Therefore, people who do not get treatment for type 2 diabetes in time, they are more at risk of getting this damage.
- Diabetes causes a chemical imbalance in the brain, which can trigger Alzheimer’s.
- Inflammation occurs due to high blood sugar, which leads to the risk of damage to brain cells.
- For this reason, diabetes is considered a risk factor for vascular dementia.
- Vascular dementia is a disease that has its own symptoms or over time it may come with Alzheimer’s disease.
What are the causes and risk factors of type 3 diabetes?
- According to a study, more than 60 percent of people with type 2 diabetes are at risk of Alzheimer’s disease or other types of dementia.
- The same study also found that women with type 2 diabetes have a higher risk of developing vascular dementia.
Risk Factor –
- Family history of diabetes
- High blood pressure
Type 3 diabetes symptoms?
The symptoms of type 3 diabetes are described as the symptoms of dementia that appear in the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease. which is like this –
- Started forgetting things
- Trouble in completing daily tasks
- Difficulty in daily work due to poor memory
- Decision-making problems
- Sudden change in behavior
Diagnosis of type 3 diabetes?
- Neurological examination
- Medical history
- Neuropsychological testing
- Apart from this, the doctor may ask you many questions, family history, and symptoms.
- Brain function is checked by MRI of the head, CT scan.
Type 3 diabetes treatment?
People are given treatment on the basis of the following condition –
- Type 2 diabetes
Apart from this, lifestyle changes such as diet changes for diabetics as well as exercising daily are a huge part of the treatment.
Due to obesity, along with the loss of any organ in the body, the risk of high blood sugar remains high.
Symptoms can be improved by eating a low fat diet and eating more fruits and vegetables. Also smoking and drinking alcohol should be avoided. Appropriate treatment should be taken according to the advice of a doctor.
Preventing Type 3 Diabetes
Having type 2 diabetes can reduce the risk of developing type 3 diabetes. For which the following things can be done –
- Exercising for 30 minutes at least 4 days a week.
- Eat high protein, high fiber, low saturated fat and healthy foods.
- Regular check of blood sugar level
- Cholesterol level check
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Take medicines prescribed by the doctor
Alzheimer’s can be called type 3 diabetes due to insulin insensitivity that occurs inside the brain. Several other factors in which the treatment is given depending on the diabetes treatment and the severity of dementia.
Treating diabetes with diet, exercise, and medications can slow the progression of Alzheimer’s or vascular dementia.
But treatment should be done after the problem is detected at the earliest. So that the disease can be prevented from progressing.
FAQS – Type 3 diabetes?
What are the 5 types of diabetes?
- Type 1
- Type 2
- Type 3
Can you reverse Type 3 Diabetes?
- With the help of medications, the doctors can help in delaying type 3 diabetes progression.
What is Type 3 diabetes caused by?
- As per many researchers, type 3 diabetes is caused when neurons present in the brain stops responding to insulin.
- Eventually, such situations lead to a decline in learning and cognitive health.