Whenever we talk about diabetes, the idea of type 1 or type 2 comes to our mind. But there are more types of diabetes than this. Know what is type 4 diabetes? Its symptoms, causes, types, treatment, and how can it be prevented?
What is Type 4 Diabetes?
- Type 4 is recommended for use in older people (not known to be obese or overweight) for diabetes caused by insulin resistance.
- Type 4 diabetes is not an autoimmune condition.
- But this type 4 type of diabetes is linked to the aging process.
- For example, type 1 and type 2 diabetes are associated with obesity or being overweight.
- Type 4 diabetes patient does not have the problem of obesity or overweight, but the age is more.
- Although research about type 4 diabetes is still ongoing, some connections have been discovered by scientists.
What are the symptoms of Type 4 diabetes?
The most common types of symptoms are –
- Feeling thirsty
- Wounds that take time to heal
- Excessive hunger
- Frequent urination
- Weight loss without reason
- Blurred vision
(Click to know more about how to prevent diabetes?)
What are the causes of type 4 diabetes?
- Scientists have recently started researching it.
- Studies are still underway to determine the cause of type 4 diabetes.
- A 2015 study on rats found several links to type 4 diabetes that affects the immune system.
- The researchers believed that this link is rooted in the aging process.
- However, more human research is still needed on this.
Types of diabetes
Diabetes, in general, is known by most people as type 1, type 2, and gestational diabetes in some cases.
- Type 1 diabetes – This is mostly seen in children or adolescents. In which the immune system starts attacking the insulin cells released from the pancreas.
- Type 2 Diabetes – This occurs due to two problems – one is the body does not respond to insulin – the other is that the pancreas stops making insulin over time.
- Gestational diabetes – This is seen due to hormonal changes during pregnancy, which automatically gets cured after giving birth to the baby.
Special diabetes due to other reasons –
- Type 3c diabetes – This type can be caused by cystic fibrosis and pancreatic cancer.
- MODY – This type of diabetes develops due to genetic changes by the age of 25.
- Neonatal Diabetes – It is diagnosed within 6 months of the birth of the baby. Such babies are born with genetics changes that affect their ability to develop insulin. It is different from type 1 diabetes and is not considered an autoimmune condition.
- Other conditions – This type of diabetes is caused by other conditions such as pancreatic cancer, cystic fibrosis, etc., which affect the ability to develop insulin.
- Steroid-Induced Diabetes – This type of diabetes can be caused by taking steroids that affect the hormones.
- Monogenic Diabetes – This includes MODY and Neonatal.
Recently, discussions have started on new types of diabetes –
- Type 3 Diabetes – When the neurons present in the brain are not able to reach the required amount of insulin or due to insulin resistance, Alzheimer’s disease or a type of dementia is seen.
- Type 4 diabetes – This causes insulin resistance in older people who are not obese or overweight.
What is the treatment of Type 4 diabetes?
- Type 4 diabetes is not officially recognized.
- Studies are going on on many things related to this condition which includes treatment.
- Many researchers believe that they will soon find antibody drugs related to this condition.
- Until a drug is developed for type 4, drugs for type 2 diabetes will continue to be prescribed for this.
- Also, type 2 diabetics are advised to lose weight whereas in type 4 diabetics this is not the case.
Type 4 diabetes prevention?
- Recent studies have linked type 4 diabetes to the aging process.
- More human studies are still needed on this.
You may have heard or read about type 1, type 2, or type 3 diabetes before, but nowadays type 4 diabetes is also very much in vogue.
Although it has not received any official name from the researchers, have started calling it by the name Type 4.