Some years before today, no one would have even thought that it would be almost impossible to work without a phone and laptop, etc.
But it also has some disadvantages, including obesity due to sitting for a long time. Due to being engaged in phone or laptop, eye problems, etc. are included.
In this article, we are going to tell you about the home remedies for dryness of eyes, environment, diet, eye drops, dry eye syndrome, and ways to prevent dryness –
Dry eyes home remedies – works well with the problem
- Environmental factors are one of the most common causes of dry eyes.
- That’s why it is important to avoid cigarettes and stay indoors during storms etc.
- Wear the right glasses etc. during activities like riding a bicycle, riding a motorcycle, or riding any other thing where there is a direct strong wind on the eyes, etc.
- A humidifier can be installed to maintain the right moisture in the house.
- According to research, the problem of dry eyes is relieved by the consumption of omega-3 fatty acids.
- This fatty acid is known to reduce inflammation in the body.
- It helps in reducing the inflammation of the eyes, production of more tears, and good quality tears.
The following foods can be consumed for omega-3 fatty acids –
- Palm oil
- Soyabean oil
- Chia seeds
- Fatty fish
Try eye drops or ointment
- There are a number of OTC medicines for the eyes that can help.
- Temporary relief can be provided with the help of eye drops.
- They contain preservatives that inhibit bacterial growth inside them.
- After the eye drops have opened, you should use preservative-free drops in case the eyes react with the preservative.
- The ointment is thinner than drops which coat the ball of the eye, providing long-term relief from dryness.
- However, vision can be impaired with the use of the ointment, hence they should be used at bedtime.
Dry eye syndrome
- The condition caused due to lack of tears or poor quality of eyes is known as dry eye syndrome which is dryness of the eyes.
Symptoms of dry eye syndrome –
- Blurred vision
- Feeling something in the eye
- Sensitivity towards light
- Red eyes
- Feeling of itching, dryness, and pain in both eyes
- Eye fatigue
- Mucus in or around the eyes
Following factors can cause dryness in the eyes –
- Environment factor
- Certain medical conditions
When to see a doctor for eye dryness treatment?
- If the above-mentioned treatments do not give you relief or if you think that you are suffering from a serious condition, then contact your doctor.
- Dryness of the eyes is temporary and it becomes natural with age.
- But in some cases, it can be serious.
- You can adopt home remedies for relief and consult a doctor if needed.
Contact your doctor if you have any of the following eye dryness symptoms
- Redness in eyes
- Puffy eyes
- Eye injury
- Dry mouth
- Joint stiffness, swelling, etc
- Dryness persists even after self home remedies
- Eye discharge
- Pain with more than moderate stimulation
Indian home remedies for dry eyes?
Apart from eye drops or ointment, prevention can be done in many easy ways –
Give rest to your eyes
- Continuous reading, watching TV, or computer can cause dryness of the eyes.
- This is because during this we keep staring at one thing for a long time with our eyes.
- The lubrication inside the eyes ends by staring.
- So don’t stare for a long time at anything and keep blinking at regular intervals.
- This causes many damages to the body.
- But its first damage reaches the eyes.
Omega-3 Fatty Acid
- Some people find it beneficial to include omega-3 fatty acids in their diet.
- It can be found in flaxseeds or fish oil capsules etc.
Humidifier in winter
- People living in icy places who run heaters in their homes need it more.
- Due to this, moisture remains in the atmosphere inside the house.
- In the absence of a humidifier, you keep water in the room to boil on something, it will cause moisture in the air.
Use a warm compress and wash the eyelashes
- Apply a warm compress on the eyes and then wash the eyelids with baby shampoo.
- By doing this, the quality of the tear coming out of the gland of the eyelids is better.
- Keep in mind that you clean the soap properly from the eyes, otherwise it may cause burning, itching, etc. in the eyes.
Avoid working in high winds
- For example, limit exposure to fans and hair dryers.
- Wear the right sunglasses on the eyes before doing high-wind activities etc. to prevent dryness.
Dry eyes or dry eyes occur when the tear glands do not produce the required amount of tears to keep the eyes lubricated. This condition can be very uncomfortable and painful. Due to this, there can be both medical and environmental factors.
In such a situation, relief can be found by taking advantage of home remedies.
FAQS – Dry eyes home remedies
How can I hydrate my eyes?
- While watching tv or using the laptop, phone – make sure to blink in regular intervals.
- Moderate to severe dryness – rose water can be used.
- Avoid smoking as it increases its tendency of it.
How can I moisturize my eyes without eye drops?
- Take a piece of clean cloth and dip it in light warm water.
- After that, you can use the cloth as compression on your eyes.
Does crying help with dry eyes?
- On a temporary basis, yes it is possible.
Does dry eye go away?
- Mostly, dry eyes are managed through home remedies or OTC medicines.
What is the best home remedy for dry eyes?
- Give proper rest to your eyes
- Do eye exercises regularly
- Stay hydrated
- Eye hygiene – use cotton dipped in lukewarm water to clean the eyelids and corners of your eyes.
- In cases of eye dryness – rose water can be used.