If you spend time around children, then you will know that children love sweet candy, chocolates, drinks.
But all these types of sugary drinks found in the market have a bad effect on health. In such a situation, in this article, we are going to tell you the list of healthy drinks for children and unhealthy drinks from which children should be avoided.
Worried about unhealthy kids drinks! Try these healthy drinks for kids
- If you read about coconut water in general, then you will know that it contains both calories and sugar.
- However, the calories and sugar available in coconut are healthier than soda and other soft drinks.
- Along with this, many other nutrients like vitamin C, potassium, magnesium etc. are present in coconut which is very important for children.
- Potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium – act as electrolytes that make up for the loss caused by sweating during exercise.
- Therefore, coconut is a better option to protect children jumping from the lack of water in the body.
- Keep in mind that packet coconut water is not necessarily natural, so use watery coconut.
Fresh Fruits and Herbs
- It can be difficult for children to keep drinking plain water.
- In such a situation, you can give the child the flavor of fresh fruits or herbs without adding extra sugar or calories to the water.
- Due to this, apart from protecting the children from lack of water, nutrients are available in better quantity.
- In this case, you can add flavors like lemon, orange, cucumber, mint, pineapple, watermelon, blueberry, etc. to the water.
- For this, you can ask your child which flavor he likes.
- Also, when going out, you can give water of that flavor to the child.
- Many children like chocolate milk, strawberry milk, etc.
- Some people like plain milk but unsweetened milk is the best healthy option.
- Plain milk provides many nutrients which are very important for our health and development.
- Milk contains essential nutrients like protein, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus.
- All these elements are very important for the good development of the body.
- Some babies are insensitive to milk, due to which they may develop flatulence, diarrhea, gas, skin rash, and abdominal cramps.
- By the way, tea is not considered good for children.
- But tea made from herbs is quite safe.
- Mint tea, lemongrass, rubies, chamomile tea etc. are a better alternative to herbal tea.
- All this tea tastes good apart from being caffeine free.
- According to research, chamomile has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the symptoms associated with intestinal inflammation.
- Chamomile tea has been used for anxiety in adults and children.
- Apart from this, chamomile has also been used for the problem of nausea, gas, diarrhea, indigestion.
- When your child is thirsty, the first thing you should do is give him water.
- Water is very important for the essential function and good health of the body.
- Essential functions include functioning of organs and maintaining body temperature.
- Children’s body needs more water for good metabolic rate and growth.
- Most importantly, water is essential for maintaining good brain function and a healthy weight.
- Whereas due to lack of water in the body, constipation, fatigue, brain function can be affected etc.
- Since children love sweets, fruits, vegetables and other healthy foods should be included in the child’s diet.
- Smoothies found in the market are full of harmful properties like sugar, etc. In such a situation, you can make smoothie recipe from vegetables at home.
- Vegetables like kale, spinach, cabbage can be blended and made into a smoothie.
- Keep in mind that while making smoothies, use unsweetened dairy products.
- Apart from this, use healthy ingredients like hemp seeds, cocoa powder, flax seeds, etc.
Avoid giving children the following drinks
- Children should never be allowed to consume sweet sugary drinks regularly.
- Consuming soda and other sports drinks regularly can cause cavities and obesity in the teeth.
- Also, sugary drinks are seen to increase the risk of diseases like type 2 diabetes, fatty liver.
- Flavored milk etc. found in the market are linked to weight gain.
- Although fruit juice is healthy for children, but its prescribed quantity should also be given to children.
- Giving juice in excess quantity increases the risk of obesity in children.
- If there are benefits of consuming caffeine, then there are also some disadvantages such as rapid increase in heart rate, high BP, nervousness, sleep problems, etc.
- Therefore caffeine intake is age related and should be avoided by very young children.
When your kids are thirsty, you can give them a variety of healthy drinks. If the child is bored after drinking water, then he can be given the above mentioned drinks.
FAQs – Healthy drinks for kids
Is it bad for kids to drink diet drinks?
- Yes as they increase the risk of obesity and tooth cavities in kids. It’s better to avoid any kind of carbonated water or soda drinks for kids.
Are zero sugar drinks good for kids?
- According to experts children should drink healthy beverages having natural minerals and vitamins present.
Can kids drink vitamin water?
- Yes they can but it is always better to get sufficient vitamins and minerals from the food you eat.
Can kids drink Red Bull?
- No, they shouldn’t especially kids below 12 never required to take such drinks.
What is a good low sugar drink for kids?
- Water – It has zero calories and no sugar, also goods for vital health
- Milk – It has protein, calcium, and other minerals important for the body.