Many people don’t take their oral health seriously, resulting in cavities. Today, we discuss how to get rid of cavities at home
How To Get Rid Of Cavities At Home
- Vitamin D is very important for the absorption of calcium and phosphate from the food we eat.
- Studies have found that eating foods with high vitamin D content such as milk, curd, etc. reduces the risk of cavities in children.
Reduce intake of sugary foods
- According to WHO, one of the causes of cavities is the consumption of sugar.
- Reducing sugar intake by 10 percent of total calories can be beneficial.
- This is an ancient process in which a spoonful of coconut oil is kept in the mouth and swirls it in mouth.
- Swirl the oil in the mouth for at least 20 minutes and then rinse it off.
- By doing this, the toxins come out of the mouth.
- Along with this, it helps in reducing the bacteria present in the mouth, plague, and other diseases.
Brushing with fluoride toothpaste
- Fluoride plays an important role in repairing the enamel coating and preventing cavities.
- However, more studies are still needed on this. (What to do for sensitive teeth)
- According to a study, it helps in fighting the bacteria responsible for dental cavities.
- Apart from this, it proves helpful in protecting against cavities.
Sugar free gum
- In clinical trials, it has been seen that chewing sugar-free gum after a meal can reduce the damage to the enamel.
- Gum that contains xylitol has the ability to stimulate the flow of saliva.
- Also, such gum increases the pH level of the plague.
- However, it needs a longer study.
What are the causes of cavities?
- The dental cavity, a small hole on the tooth that is on the hard surface of the tooth.
- The reason for this is the accumulation of bacteria on the surface of the tooth.
- The bacteria on the surface of the tooth keep making acid from sugar.
- When the decay becomes more, this sticky substance starts appearing on the teeth which are called plague.
- The acid produced by the plague removes the mineral from the tooth enamel or in other words, removes the coating.
- Due to which holes start appearing in the enamel.
- At the same time, a cavity is formed when the acid reaches the inner layer below the enamel.
- Many studies believe that a lack of vitamin D in the diet causes cavities.
- Other risk factors for cavities such as dry mouth, decreased salivation in the mouth, candy, foods that stick to the teeth.
- Acid can cause heartburn, not brushing teeth properly, breastfeeding the baby while sleeping, eating something or the other frequently, etc.
- Once the cavity has entered the teeth, you cannot benefit from home remedies.
- For this you will need to consult a dentist.
When to see a doctor?
Many dental problems develop without any dental pain or symptoms. Regular dental checkups are the best way to detect a cavity. Early diagnosis of the problem can save it from getting worse.
Cavity treatment at the dentist
- Fluoride treatment – Prescribe medicine should be taken by the doctor.
- Crown – Also called cap, which is there to protect it from excessive rot.
- Filling – This is the main treatment when the cavity has grown beyond the enamel.
- Root canal – This is done when the tooth is damaged inside.
- Tooth extraction – This is done for severely damaged teeth.
Use of vitamin D, oil pulling, chewing licorice root, sugar-free gum, etc. is effective in preventing the growth of the cavity. Whereas in severe cases of a cavity, proper treatment should be taken by following the methods prescribed by the doctor.