Pumpkin seeds are very small in size and full of nutrients. But when eaten in small amounts, it provides you with healthy fats, magnesium, and zinc.
There are many benefits of consuming pumpkin seeds, such as it protects your heart health, prostate health and protects against certain types of cancer.
But you can easily take advantage of them by including them in your diet. In this article, we are going to tell you about the advantages and disadvantages of pumpkin seeds –
Here is the list of amazing benefits and side effects of pumpkin seeds everyone needs to know
What are the health benefits of pumpkin seeds?
Reduces the risk of heart diseases
- Pumpkin seeds are a good source of antioxidants, magnesium, zinc, and fatty acids that keep the heart healthy.
- It reduces the risk factors of heart disease – high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels.
- Also, consuming pumpkin seeds increases the production of nitric oxide in the body, which has a positive effect on our hearts.
Controls blood sugar levels
- Pumpkin seeds, pumpkin or its powder, or pumpkin juice are known to lower blood sugar levels.
- It is of great benefit to people having trouble controlling blood sugar levels due to diabetes.
- It has been seen in many studies that people with type 2 diabetes get benefits from the consumption of pumpkin seeds or juice etc.
Good for prostate and bladder issues
- Pumpkin seeds are very beneficial in relieving the symptoms of prostate gland enlargement.
- Research has found that taking pumpkin seeds or its supplements helps in treating the symptoms of an overactive bladder.
- Apart from this, its consumption reduces the symptoms of diseases and improves the quality of life.
Full of antioxidants
- Pumpkin seeds contain carotenoids and vitamin E.
- Antioxidants are known to reduce inflammation and protect cells from harmful radicals.
- Therefore, consuming foods rich in antioxidants prevents diseases.
Good amount of fiber
- Pumpkin seeds are a good source of dietary fiber.
- High fiber diet is very good for our digestion.
- Consuming a high fiber diet reduces the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and obesity.
Reduce the risk of certain types of cancer
- Consumption of a diet rich in pumpkin seeds reduces the risk of stomach, breast, prostate, colon, and lung cancer etc.
- Women after menopause are more prone to breast cancer, consuming pumpkin seeds reduces its risk.
- Test tube studies have shown that consumption of pumpkin seeds slows down the growth of prostate cells.
Improves sperm quality
- Low levels of zinc are associated with the low quality of sperm and increases the risk of infertility in men.
- Pumpkin seeds are a good source of zinc, so they improve the quality of sperm.
- Apart from this, it also reduces the loss of sperm due to autoimmune diseases.
- Pumpkin seeds are known to increase testosterone levels and improve overall body health.
- In men, it works towards improving fertility levels.
For better sleep
- Pumpkin seeds should be eaten before sleeping in case of problems like insomnia or lack of sleep.
- The amino acid elements present in it help in better sleep.
- Magnesium levels are low in people who get less sleep, consuming pumpkin seeds helps in better sleep.
(Click here to know more about the best sleep tracker apps for your phone)
High amount of magnesium
- Pumpkin seeds are considered the best natural source of magnesium.
- Correcting the level of magnesium in the body gives benefit in many problems.
- It helps in controlling blood pressure.
- Reduces the risk of heart disease.
- It is necessary for bones.
- Regulates blood sugar level.
Pumpkin seeds can be easily included in the diet
- The best way to take advantage of the benefits of pumpkin seeds is to include it in your diet.
- In many countries, it is eaten raw, roasted, salted, etc.
- It can be taken with curd or fruits.
- These seeds can be eaten with food in salads, soups, etc.
- They can be eaten by mixing them with sprouts.
Full of essential nutrients
- Fiber – 1.7 grams
- Carbs – 5 grams
- Protein – 7 grams
- Fat – 13 grams
- Vitamin K
They contain many types of antioxidants, polyunsaturated fatty acids, potassium, vitamin B2, and folate. Pumpkin seeds and seed oil contain many nutrients and plant compounds that have many health benefits.
What are the side effects of pumpkin seeds?
They are very rare, but people may experience –
- Nausea, etc.
Pumpkin seeds are full of nutrients and are powerful antioxidants. By eating them, the risk of many diseases can be reduced by removing the deficiency of the elements present in the food.
Apart from this, pumpkin seeds help to improve heart health, maintain blood sugar levels, improve fertility and sleep quality.
Also, it helps in preventing certain types of cancer. The nutrients present in them provide many health benefits such as improving energy, improving mood, and benefiting immune function.
FAQS – Benefits and side effects of pumpkin seeds?
What happens if you eat too much pumpkin seeds?
If eaten in too much amount may cause –
- Gastric issue, etc.
Are pumpkin seeds bad for kidneys?
- As they contain a good amount of phosphorus and potassium, it is advised to take the doctor’s consultation before consuming them.
When should you eat pumpkin seeds morning or night?
- If you have any trouble with sleeping then you can eat them before bed, they are known to promote better sleep.
- If you are looking for weight loss then pumpkin seeds can be consumed in the morning.
Can I eat pumpkin seeds raw?
- It depends upon the taste.
- You can have them raw or pumpkin seeds can also be roasted with oil and salts can be added for taste.
Is it OK to eat pumpkin seeds everyday?
- Yes, pumpkin seeds can be eaten daily, but make sure to keep a range of around 30 grams per day.