In this article, you will learn about human foods that are dangerous for dogs –
Harmful foods fatal to dogs
Some foods can be safe for humans and harmful for dogs. This is because the metabolism of dogs is different from that of humans.
Giving some food containing humans to dogs can damage their health. While in some cases these foods can be fatal for dogs.
- The ingredients present in chocolate are very difficult for dogs to digest.
- Giving chocolate to a dog can cause abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea and loss of water.
- These symptoms can be heart attack, internal bleeding, muscle twitches, seizures and death etc.
- The severity of side effects depends on the size of the dog and the amount of chocolate he has consumed.
- The darker and less sweet the chocolate, the more toxic it will be to the dog.
Coffee, tea and other caffeine
- Caffeine is found naturally in coffee like tea, cocoa etc.
- It is found in soft drinks and medicines.
- The heart rate and nervous system can be greatly accelerated by the consumption of caffeine by dogs.
- Dogs include restlessness, excessive thirst, loss of bladder control, vomiting and diarrhea between 2 and 4 hours after drinking coffee. (Learn about the side effects of tea)
- If your dog has ingested too much caffeine, he may die due to irregular heartbeat, lung failure.
- Giving too much salt to a dog can lead to salt poisoning.
- Due to which there can be loss of life including vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures, fever etc.
- Keep in mind that your dog should always drink fresh water.
- Grapes can be very toxic to dogs.
- This can lead to immediate kidney failure and death.
- The effect of the toxic level can be different from one dog to another.
- Keep in mind that feeding grapes to a dog can cause poisoning.
- Also, cooked cookies, cakes, snack bars etc. in the market should not be given to the dog.
- Symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue and depression should be looked out for.
- Apart from this, feeling very thirsty and passing very little urine can be a sign of kidney failure.
- It is a sugar alcohol that is mostly used to sweeten candy, chew gum, toothpaste, and cooked foods.
- It is safe for humans but can be life-threatening for dogs.
- Dogs ingesting food containing xylitol can suddenly cause a dog’s blood sugar level to drop.
- Its symptoms can be seen within 30 minutes of consumption.
- Symptoms may include vomiting, weakness, depression, trouble moving, coma, and seizures.
- Xylitol can cause liver damage and even death.
Wine and yeast
- Alcohol is found in many products such as paints, perfumes, mouthwashes and many other cleaning products.
- Even small amounts of alcohol are fatal to dogs.
- The symptoms start within some time of consumption.
- Such as fatigue, depression, lack of muscle coordination, low body temperature, difficulty in breathing, vomiting and diarrhea may occur.
- Giving too much alcohol to dogs can lead to death including lung failure, seizures, coma.
- The elements present in avocado are beneficial for humans and poison for dogs.
- The persin present in them is safe for humans.
- This element is found in many fruits, leaves and bark of trees etc.
- Therefore, dogs should be avoided to give any such thing.
- If such food is eaten by dogs, fluid can spread in the dog’s lungs and chest.
- Due to which the dog may have trouble breathing and even death.
- Fluid can spread to other organs including the dog’s heart, stomach.
- Throat block or choke can also occur if a dog accidentally eats avocado.
Other Foods Harmful to Dogs
- Milk and Dairy Products
- Macadamia nuts
Some foods that are safe for humans can be harmful to dogs. They should be consulted by talking to the dog’s vet about what food to give or not.