Know about the Tomato benefits, nutritional value, vitamins, minerals, plant compounds, and side effects –
What are the benefits of tomatoes?
Tomatoes for better skin
- Tomatoes are considered good for the skin.
- The plant compounds present in it protect the skin from sunburn.
- It is one of the best skin foods.
Protection against cancer
- The abnormal growth of cells that spread beyond their borders and spread to other parts of the body is called cancer.
- In some observational studies, it has been found that the cases of stomach cancer, prostate cancer, lung cancer were seen less in those who use tomatoes and their products.
For good heart health
- Heart diseases include heart attack and stroke.
- Studies have found that middle-aged people have lower levels of beta-carotene and lycopene, which increase the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- It has been seen in clinical trials that supplementing with lycopene can reduce the level of bad cholesterol.
- Apart from this, it has been seen in clinical studies that products made from tomatoes provide benefits in inflammation and oxidative stress.
- Also, by protecting the unnecessary layer of blood vessels, it reduces the risk of blood clots.
Nutrition facts of tomatoes
Per 100 gram raw tomatoes contains –
- 18 calories
- 0.9 gram protein
- 2.6 gram sugar
- 1.2 gram fiber
- 0.2 gram fat
- 3.9 gram carb
- 95 percent water
Vitamins and minerals in Tomatoes
- Vitamin C – It acts as an antioxidant in a way that protects the body from free radicals.
- Vitamin K1 – It is essential for bone health and blood clotting.
- Potassium – This is an essential mineral to prevent heart disease and control blood pressure.
- Folate – It is very important in cell function and tissue growth, especially for pregnant women.
Plant compound in tomatoes
- Lycopene – This is an antioxidant that gives tomatoes their red color, which has many health effects.
- Chlorogenic Acid – This is a powerful antioxidant whose function is to reduce BPA in the problem of high blood pressure.
- Naringenin – found in tomato peel, which prevents many diseases including reducing inflammation.
- Beta-carotene – This antioxidant is converted into vitamin A in the body in addition to giving color to the fruit.
What are the side effects of tomatoes?
- Tomatoes can cause allergies, however, it is quite rare.
- People who are allergic to grass pollen may be allergic to tomatoes.
- This is called oral allergy syndrome, in which the immune system attacks pollen, which resembles proteins present in vegetables and fruits.
- Due to which there may be a sore throat, itching inside the mouth, swelling of the mouth or throat, etc.
- People with latex allergies may also experience an allergy to tomatoes.
You must have used tomato in your daily life for flavoring vegetables or in ketchup etc. Apart from this, tomatoes also have many benefits. It is helpful in reducing the risk of heart disease, cancer.
While they are considered a good source of vitamin k, folate, potassium, and Vitamin C. It can be very valuable for a healthy diet.
FAQs – Benefits and side effects of Tomatoes?
What is bad about eating tomatoes?
- In case of excessive consumption, tomatoes may cause heartburn or acid reflux.
- Tomatoes contain many types of acid which make the stomach more acidic than normal, when consumed in large amounts.
What happens if you eat tomatoes everyday?
- It is good for overall health including heart and brain health.
- Tomatoes have anti-inflammatory properties.
- As tomatoes are a good source of many nutrients thus prevent’s cardiovascular diseases.
Are tomatoes bad for kidney?
- Tomatoes are high potassium sources which is a Big No for kidney diseases.
- If you are healthy then you can add tomatoes and their products in your diet.
Why you should never eat tomatoes?
- Tomatoes have solanine which is a type of alkaloid.
- According to research, excessive consumption of solanine present in tomatoes can cause joint pain and swelling.
- Solanine can also lead to inflammation.