In this article, you will know the causes, symptoms, and treatment of back and neck pain.
Pain in Back of Head and Neck
Headaches can range from mild to severe depending on the intensity. It can be anywhere in the head.
The reasons for the pain in the back of the head can be as follows. It may be due to some other conditions. In such symptoms, pain is experienced in any part of the head.
What Causes Pain in Back of Head and Neck?
There can be different reasons for pain in the back of the head. In most cases, the cause of the headache can be a pain in other parts of the body or can trigger certain conditions.
Headache is diagnosed by the doctor based on the type of pain, location, and how you are feeling along with other symptoms.
Pain in back of head and neck
- It occurs when the nerves leading from the scalp to the spinal cord are damaged.
- Many people mistake it for migraines.
- During this condition, intense, cramping, prickling pain extends from the head to the neck all over the scalp.
Among its other symptoms –
- Sensitivity to light
- Scalp Cramps
- Pain when moving the neck
- Pain behind eyes
- Neck pain occurs due to trouble in the cervical spine present in our neck.
- This type of headache is called cervicogenic headache.
- After this type of pain starts, it is felt in the back of the head.
- In many cases, this pain is also felt behind the eyes.
- Other symptoms include pain in the upper parts of the hands including the shoulders.
- Cervicogenic headaches become more severe on lying down.
- When lying down, the person suddenly wakes up in the middle and feels pressure like a weight on the head.
- How we walk or sit in some way has a great effect on our body, especially on other organs including the head and neck.
- Poor posture causes a lot of tension in the waist, shoulders, and neck, which leads to headaches.
- You may feel intense pain in the scalp.
- This type of headache is caused by inflammation and swelling around the neck area.
- Due to this, there is pain in the back of the head and neck.
- Whereas any type of movement can cause more intense pain.
- This type of headache can be due to any type of arthritis.
- The most common of these are rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Pain in the right side and back of head?
- Headache due to tension and tension is quite common.
- This type of headache occurs in the back of the head and on the ride side.
- Also, it can cause cramps in the neck or scalp.
Pain in the left side and back of the head?
It can occur in any part of the head, but many people experience it in the back of the head and on the left side. Due to this-
- Watery eyes
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Sharp, prickling pain
Migraine pain starts from the left side and reaches the right side.
Pain in the back of the head when lying down?
Cluster headaches are quite rare but they are very painful. Its name is cluster because this pain keeps coming and going in a short period of time. People experiencing cluster headaches experience these from time to time which can last from weeks to months.
This pain can be from the back of the head to both sides. This pain gets worse when lying down. Among its other symptoms –
- Sharp, prickling, and burning pain
- Stuffy nose
- Light and sound sensitivity
How is the pain in the back of the head treated?
Many headaches can be treated with OTC medicines. Whereas if the main cause of the headache is known, it can be treated well.
- Apart from hot and cold therapy, NSAIDs, massage, and medicines prescribed by the doctor are done.
- It is treated by treating the recent condition.
- Its treatment is done with physiotherapy, mild stretching, and surgery.
- But exercise is the best for best results.
Headache treatment due to arthritis
- It is treated with anti-inflammatory and heat to reduce inflammation.
Tension headache treatment
- OTC medicines can be taken for this.
- Medicines can be prescribed by the doctor so that it does not happen again in the future.
Treatment of migraine
- Some medicines can be prescribed by the doctor for relief in its pain.
- Apart from this, proper treatment can be given by finding out the reasons that trigger the migraine.
- For long-term treatment, you have to correct your posture.
- For this, it is necessary that your hands should keep a proper posture to reduce the pain in the shoulders.
- Apart from this, the doctor will give you NSAIDs to reduce the pain in a hurry.
- It works to reduce the duration and intensity of the headache.
- Injections can be used to reduce acute cluster headaches.
- Local anesthetic is also used.
- Surgery may be required in severe cases.
When to see the doctor
- A doctor should be consulted if the headache lasts for a day or more.
- Having a particular pattern of headaches
- Headache behind the eyes
- And most importantly, the pain increases with time.
Apart from all these, headaches can also cause changes in your personality, mood swings, fever, neck cramps, trouble concentrating, trouble speaking, visual disturbances, weakness, pain in the back of the head, pain at night. If you have trouble sleeping etc., you should see a doctor immediately.